Chapel Phone: Active during the Camp Season (207) 474-0124
Alternate: President Patty Smith (207) 634-4399 or Graham (207) 318-9037
Originally, Lake Wesserunsett was the summer meeting area of the Kennebec Indians before and during the 1600’s. Written history of the area states that the area was first settled by the Jebediah Hayden family in the early 1800’s. One of the Hayden family heirs, William D. Hayden set aside an area for the use of the Madison Spiritualist Association in 1879 at Hayden’s Grove on the west side of Hayden’s Pond as the lakewas then called. Prior to that time the Spiritualists had been meeting at Richardsons Woods, but getting to the woods was a hardship in those days.
The first two years of meetings were outdoors until a building was constructed in 1882, which is now the Lakewood Summer Theater. In 1895 William D. Hayden bought the building and as a condition of the sale guaranteed that the Spiritualists would always have a place to meet on the camp grounds, and as a result we now own and meet in a small chapel on Salmon Road on the grounds.
Being surrounded by the good feelings of all the ancestors, pioneers and people who come to the chapel each summer gives the area a strong spiritual attraction and leaves us with a special place to celebrate Spiritualism each summer.
We welcome everyone and invite those of other faiths to investigate the phenomena and teachings of Spiritualism.
Madison Camp is located in Lakewood village, north of Skowhegan (approximately 6 miles), along Route 201. At the golf course turn right onto Beach Road into the Association towards Lakewood Theater. Continue to the end of the road. At the beach turn left onto street posted, “Private Road, Owners and Guests Only”. After about 160 feet, directly in front of you, you will see the Madison Spiritualist Camp. Parking for the Chapel is in back of the building.
Those categorized as Private readings means the medium is to be at the chapel available for scheduled or walk in reading requests. Visit our Private Readings Summary page.